Re: A. Einstein and science-fairs

Michael wrote in part:

Joel says that the project "should involve some sort of data taking
that helps to answer some sort of question..." Whether I agree with
that statement depends upon the types of questions that are allowed.
If the question must be a question "about nature" then I have a
problem. That leads to the rash of projects like
"which spot remover works best on different kinds of stains?"
"which type of potting soil grows the best plants?"
"what color of paint in a room makes a person have lower blood
pressure?"

I find nothing wrong with the above types of questions, as long as the
student then proceeds to perform some reasonable data taking (inventing
devices to take the data) that helps to answer the question and tries to
make some attempt at controling other variables etc etc. I think its silly
to have to reword them in hypothesis format. e.g. "Yellow paint will be the
color that lowers the blood pressure the most because old people lower their
blood pressure by petting golden retrievers"

I think valid questions could also be:
"How would one go about measuring the speed of light?"

I would reword this as, What is the speed of light? then proceed to measure
it. The question as stated can be solved by doing a book report.

"How would one go about making a guitar amplifier?"

This is tougher and perhaps exemplifies the difference of opinion, as stated
I would have the same objection as for the above example. How about, what
environmental and material factors affect guitar amplifier performance?

My daughter wants to build an audio amplifier. She's only 13
and knows
nothing about electronics. She could assemble a kit... but I
won't let
her (nor will her teacher). But I can imagine directing her in a
series of "experiments" where she really does try experimentation,
modification, more experimentation. I can show her basically how a
transistor works and let her try building a single transistor
"class-B"
amplifier. She can then "observe" she is only getting amplification
for half the waveform. Then we can experiment with class-A amplifiers
and/or true class-B (push-pull) amplifiers. We can also try
some small
transistors and find out we can easily turn them into "toast." So she
can learn about thermal dissipation, various transistor sizes, heat
sinks, etc.

All of this would be an extremely worthwhile activity for your daughter;
much of this can even be learned by building a "kit".

It is clear to me that this project could involve quite a bit of
experimentation and decision making on her part. . . .
If I
can manage to do this, I think she will learn some science, she'll do
some experimentation, she'll make some decisions, and most
important...
she can say that she chose a project she was interested in (and I also
hope she will be able to say that she enjoyed it). I'm not overly
excited about this project, but she is... and I think it has merit.
However, to get this past the teacher we'll have to "invent" a
hypothesis. That will be the admission ticket that lets her do her
thing. We'll come up with a hypothesis... but it will be pure smoke
screen.

What's not clear to me is if this would be clear to science fair judge and
hence if it would be appropriate for a science fair project.

As for Joel's final paragraph... I'm going to come clean and confess
that I must not be a scientist. Everything I've published, i.e. every
new thing I've measured, was done using an instrument I built. That's
not so revealing... but here it comes... I didn't care much about the
things I measured. Who cares about the half-life of 47-Cr? Some
theorist did, but not me. But I sure did have a swell time building
the device that measured it.

I'm not sure what this has to do with my last paragraph, please don't
construe my statements to mean "that only activities resembling what I state
as being appropriate for science fair projects" are the only activities that
scientists engage in. The activities you describe above seem to me entirely
appropriate to describe "as engaging in science".

I think all folks engaging in criticism of science fair projects, and there
is much to criticize; I do it myself all the time; should consider what
parameters constitute a valid project and what don't. I'm simply suggesting
that there should be some and that the parameters shouldn't be anything goes
as long as some science/engineering knowledge is gained; i.e. not *all*
scientific worthwhile activities (of an educational nature) fit into this
activity. There has to be some criteria (even if fuzzy) or else judges
can't judge.

Joel Rauber