Re: let's outgrow puzzles

At 09:47 AM 10/5/99 +0500, DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA wrote:
WORTH THINKING ABOUT: THE JOY OF THE PUZZLE
The joy of science, management, romance,
(1) (2) (3)
baseball (and maybe everything else)
(4) (5)
is best explained as the joy of the puzzle.

It's worth thinking about that long enough to realize that it's not right.
* If you derive joy from a puzzling romantic relationship, that's your
affair, and this isn't the place to discuss it.
* There's a lot more to baseball than puzzling.
* Management is about getting the job done. Doing puzzles for puzzles'
sake is an obstacle to getting the job done. As a manager it is my job to
help people outgrow their love of pointless puzzling.
* A lot of people (including me) went into science because we wanted to
make the world a better place. Doing puzzles for puzzles' sake does not
make the world a better place.

Here's what the renowned
English physicist John Ziman said on the subject:
"Scientific research is solving puzzles.
The pleasure to be got from it
is the pleasure of the crossword or jig-saw addict.

There's a lot more to it than that.

If all you care about is puzzling, you could have saved a lot of time and
money by skipping all scientific training and going directly to a career in
crosswords and jig-saw puzzles.

People should value a scientific result (or any other result) according to
the result, not according to the process that produced it. As the saying
goes: people dive for pearls because they are valuable, not vice versa.

I think that the love of puzzles is a phase that everybody goes through. I
expect people to outgrow it when they are offered other, deeper sources of joy.

copyright (C) 1999 John S. Denker jsd@monmouth.com