Re: URL syntax

At 11:35 PM 10/4/99 -0400, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
http://www.dupont.com/afs/nfeatures.htm/

Strange! I could not get to the above URL until I erased the final slash
(/) . Then it worked OK. I am using MS OE5 and IE5. Anybody understand
these weirdities? (I have reached other URLs with a final slash.)

It's not a bug it's a feature.

What you're seeing is the difference between a directory and a plain file.
http://www.dupont.com/afs/
is the URL of a directory, while
http://www.dupont.com/afs/nfeatures.htm
is the URL of a plain file in that directory.

When you request a directory, the result depends on how the web server is
configured.
* Sometimes you get an error.
* Sometimes you get a listing of all the files in that directory; for
example check out
http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/
* Oftentimes, if there is a file in the directory called index.html or
index.htm, you will get that; for example check out
http://www.dupont.com/afs/index.htm

If you request a directory without specifying the final slash, typically
the web server will rewrite the URL and tell your browser to resubit the
request. Try it sometime.

copyright (C) 1999 John S. Denker jsd@monmouth.com