Re: Scientific method was physical pendulums/ an opportunity

Rick wrote:

I'll add a question. What's the value in having students memorize
equations?

One could argue that there is a difference between requiring memorization of
equations vs. requiring that students simply know "certain" equations. One
implies a concious act of memorization of items "the night" before the test.
The other implies having enough familiarization with the material
(presumedly from listening and participating in class, struggling with the
material through reading and problem solving, previous math classes etc).
E.g. I think F=ma and A=pi*r^2 would fall in the second category. Formula
for range of a projectile shot on level ground would fall in the first
category.

If you are testing problem solving abilities, a more
'realistic'
scenario is that one does have access to the equations. How
to setup the
problems and use the equations is what is more critical. I
have gone to
allowing students to bring a sheet of paper with them to the
tests with
'almost' anything they want written on the sheets. I do
forbid them to
write out sample problem solutions and I do collect their
sheets,

I allowed similar such equations sheets; now I provide an equation sheet; to
prevent micro-formulas and have no worked out solutions on them & as well as
not needing to forbid photoreduction technology any more.

but by
writing problems (both for the tests and their homework) that
are context
rich and are different enough from the back of chapter
exercises, you can
'short-circuit' the algorithmic solvers.

Rick

I hope I do this as well and is one of the reasons I have worried, yet, much
about high tech calculators; but . . .

Joel Rauber