Re: Scientific method was physical pendulums/ an opportunity

I am teaching a 20+- honors section, and nonetheless I have many
students who cannot do much symbolic algebra. I tell them at the
beginning of the semester that after the first or maybe second exam I
won't put any numbers in the test problems. This way I push them
towards getting adequate algebra skills. As a side effect, I can ban
calculators without generating any reasonable protest. I lose the
possibility of checking their ability to check numbers for
reasonableness, which I regret, but I think the practice they get on
symbolic calculation compensates.

As an aside, it is a shame that so many genuinely intelligent students
reach college unable to do algebra easily without substituting numbers
in at the beginning of the process.

Joel Rauber wrote in part:

Leigh would you share a few thoughts about not allowing calculators on
tests. Have you been doing it long? Does it work well? What sort of student
resistance do you have? What's your reasons for doing it? etc etc.

I have been toying with this idea for a while now, but haven't had the guts
to implement it such a policy. I worry more and more about "programmable
calculators with text and formula storage capability" as well; and like you
wouldn't like to enforce forbidding particular types of calculator. One
might add that some calculators now-days can transmit to other calculators
information; and I assume this capability will get more so.

To date I haven't worried too much as most of my students can't operate the
sophisticated features of their calculators; but this may change. One
thought I had, but not supported by my colleagues, would be for the
department to provide cheap calculators for test time. Much like I provide
rulers for ray tracing on optics section tests in my introductory course.

Joel Rauber

--
Maurice Barnhill, mvb@udel.edu
http://www.physics.udel.edu/~barnhill/