Re: "Levitron" maglev device

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Gerald Zani wrote:

Bill, Tappers,

The projo about the Levitron article is very good. I have it posted on my
bulletin board. If you try to go to the web sites that Bill pointed to you
will have trouble. So I copied the articles and posted them at:

The author just contacted me to say that Projo takes articles off after
one week. He gives permission to put it on WWW, so it now can be found
at:

http://www.amasci.com/maglev/levtr1.html

I've also added an old letter to the Sherloks (the ones who maintained the
evidence of the theft on levitron.com until Hone's got the courts to shut
them down.)

http://www.amasci.com/maglev/levbill1.html (also below.)

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com

THE "PATHOLOGICAL DISHONESTY" DISEASE

To the Sherloks
In reading the lastest LEVITRON "Expose" update on www.levitron.com, I
suddenly realized that something seemed extremely familiar about the
whole situation. About five years ago I went through the breakup of a
small company. See if the following story strikes any chords with you.

During some financial rough times, one partner in our little design
company attacked another, and threatened to quit if the second partner
was not ejected. As discussion ensued and threats and counterthreats
were made over the following weeks, very strange things started to
happen. As the group continued to discuss ongoing events, I started to
feel as if there was something wrong with my mind, because some of the
events that the group was discussing had never occurred. Other events
that the people discussed were totally different than I remembered
them. I began questioning peoples' memory during meetings, and I found
that the rest of the group maintained a solid concensus agreement
about several past events which were very different than my own
recollections. Also, several real events which I remembered quite
clearly were denied by the group as having never occurred.

Fortunately I spent enough time away from the group that I could
maintain a small amount of perspective, and I gave a great deal of
thought to these strange memory mismatches. At first I suspected that
this was the infamous "Rashomon" effect (from the Kurosawa movie where
an identical event is shown from the perspective of several different
people.) Some of the problem did come from this; from the fact that
different people emphasize some events while forgetting others.
However, I began to notice that something else was happening. Two of
the partners were lying. They were lying quite openly, and about all
sorts of minor things. The lies were small enough that I never would
have noticed them ordinarily. To see them I had to be intentionally
looking for them. As they discussed things over time, their stories
slowly changed in obvious ways, and always so as to make themselves
appear to be the "good guys," and so their opponents appeared to be
evil. Long friendships were conveniently misremembered as hostile
rivalry, and some recent major changes in attitudes were discussed as
if they had always been the norm.

The business partners were "rewriting history" as they desired, with
little regard for truth. And strangest of all, they obviously were not
doing this intentionally. The process took the form of a constant sort
of "negative gossip", where the gossip was somewhat nasty, and over
many days they would come to believe their own speculations as being
actual events. The "solidified gossip" was then extended with even
more subtly dishonest information, so the "warping of reality" built
up more and more over time. I found that the overall effect was very
hard to fight, and on several occasions I felt weird and confused, and
had to sit down and try to sort out my original viewpoint from the
subtly twisted viewpoints I had unknowingly taken on while working in
the group.

When I confronted them about some of the differences in our memories
of ongoing (not past) events, they invariably attacked MY perception
of events as being faulty. They usually added lots of emphasis on the
fact that I had no proof that my version was right and theirs was
wrong, and put much emphasis on the idea that all of reality is just a
matter of opinion. (But although truth may be subjective, one thing in
reality is real: intentional lying!) They had no self-doubts at all,
and their defenses were impenetrable, which I found to be extremely
unsettling. And so I started keeping written records of all the
ongoing events, and began making tape recordings of company meetings.
I did not trust my OWN memories, so I came to rely upon these records
whenever arguments about the facts of the case came up.

The whole upheaval took months. Time after time I found great
mismatches in what the group believed and what had actually happened.
Sometimes the partners would completely change their stories, and then
insist that their stories had always been that way. They would accuse
others of nasty acts that THEY THEMSELVES had actually performed. I
kept exposing the differences and trying to force the group to keep
honest contact with reality as best as I could, but they absolutely
hated my "disgusting" truth telling and tape recorders, and it was a
losing battle. I eventually got out of the whole toxic situation.

After years had passed and I gained lots more perspective, I could
clearly see the operation of a stunning human foible which I had never
encountered earlier in my life: some people maintain a positive
self-image by a habit of lying to themselves. The lies are small but
constant, and their cumulative effect allows that person to carry out
some fairly nasty and spiteful acts without knowning that they are
doing so. They they either forget about them entirely, or they put a
"spin" on them so they appear correct and righteous. "Convenient
Disremembering" rules their lives. They constantly rewrite history to
make themselves look good, and they view themselves as good people,
even though their actions are very different from those of a good
person. When someone should confront them with clear evidence of the
original version of events, or if someone even *questions* their
version, they burst out in rage. They deeply hate tape recorders and
camcorders, but they are unable to give a coherent reason why this is
so. (The reason is obvious, but they don't know that!)

Overall, the dishonest reality-warp phenomenon is a very scary thing
to be near. I see that it is the main force that produces Cult-think.
I can easily see how the Nazis could kill millions of civilians during
WWII, and the German people go along with it, all the while thinking
that they were in the right. I can see how abusive parents can beat
children to death, all the while believing that it's the child's
fault. It's simply a matter of being slightly but constantly
dishonest, of bad-mouthing the truth so that it vanishes, of coming up
with warped justifications for your actions, and then learning to be
blind to the warpings. It's simply a matter of telling small lies and
then believing them, so that they turn invisible, and can form a new
level of "truth" on which more subtle lies are again added, until your
system of beliefs slowly twists into something that would shock an
outside observer.

What's all this leading to? It looks to me like Hones has this "lying
disease". If so, then he is not consciously stealing Harrigan's work.
He may REALLY BELIEVE that he is in the right, and so he explains your
attack as being motivated by your jealousy, self-righteousness, evil,
etc. (But why would a fellow Levitron-seller abandon a good business
and start exposing Hones' misdeeds? How can he explain it?) He is
unable to see his actions in anything but a good (but false) light.
If he is indulging in this "reality warping" stuff, then whenever you
defeat some part of his case, he will not back down, because for him
history conveniently changes so that the defeat never occurred. This
makes him a formidable opponent because he might never surrender.
Also, he can tell enormous lies with a clear conscience, and people
will believe his side of the story without a second thought, since his
attitude and body-language is that of a truth teller.

My advice on how to fight this stuff matches what you are already
doing: be utterly honest, and expose both YOUR OWN actions and Hones'
actions to as much publicity as possible. Assume that Hones is
slightly dangerous: he is fighting to defend his image of himself as a
good person, and consequentially you threaten him at a very deep
level. He may talk himself into seeing a need to commit acts of
violence. In addition, people with the "lie disease" are extremely
vengeful. They will remember even small personal slights for the rest
of their lives. On the positive side: from what I've seen of the legal
world, the people there are aware of these "snake" types of
personality, and probably won't be easily taken in by Hones as are the
people surrounding him.

Well, best of luck in the battle. If you want to look up an
interesting book, track down Scott M. Peck's book "THE PEOPLE OF THE
LIE," ISBN:0684848597 It's by a psychologist who noticed that a
portion of his patients shared a certain trait: extreme
self-protective and self-centered dishonesty; what the outside world
labels as "evil."