Re: Rainbow applet

What theory sheds light on why the angle between the plane of
polarization and that of the reflected surface makes a difference
in transmittance and reflection?

I guess the most essential part is the boundary conditions on the
electromagnetic fields at the interface. For example, the electric
field cannot have a discontinuous tangential component across the
interface. If such thing were to exist then one could build a
perpetual motion machine of the first kind using it.

My problem is that what I said above, while perfectly true, will
be of no value to a high school student. It presumes he knows too
much that high school students will not have encountered. At some
point they must simply accept that there is more to learn out
there, later, but (like the laser pointer demonstration that you
think is cool) they lack "readiness" to assimilate it now. I
would be very unhappy to know that there is nothing more for me
to learn; I hope your students feel the same way.

Leigh