Re: Rainbow applet

John Denker wrote:

Check this out: It is a java applet that demonstrates the correct physics
of a rainbow.
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/java/Rainbow/rainbow.html

Note (!) that you can grab the incident ray with the mouse and drag it up
and down. Watch how the 1-bounce emergent ray (#3) moves one way, pauses
at the *caustic* angle, and then moves back. This is what produces the
primary bow at the caustic angle. Ditto for the 2-bounce emergent ray
(#4), which produces the secondary bow at a slightly different angle. Also
notice the little "3" and "4" markers sliding on the angle axis of the
intensity graph.

This applet has helped answer several questions for me. For example why the
colors of a rainbow are in the order they are for both primary and secondary
rainbows. And why the interior of a rainbow is darker than the exterior. But
having now had time to more thoroughly investigate, I have some questions. Why
does the angle of incidence effect the amount of light that is reflected and
transmitted? The answer to my second question I would guess may go a long way
toward answering my first. Why does the polarization of light effect the rate
of reflection or transmission? Any help out there?

Cliff Parker