Re: WORD Equation editor help needed

Hi Ed, you are about ten miles away from my school.

Thanks for information about the MathType, and for
offering resources from your web site. Instead of
looking for what you call "a calculator function" I
would create a three line program to crunch numbers
with an equation. The first line would ask for the
values of a,b,c,d. The second line would define a
function, z=f(a,b,c,d, ...), while the third would
display the result. Rewriting this program for different
functions would not be more complicated than making
changes with a commercial "software tool".

I often create such little programs in True Basic. And I
append a subroutine to make a "quick and dirty" two-
dimensional plot, when needed. A fancy plotting
"package", by the way, is commercially available
from True Basic. It is worth promoting simple
programming, I think.

I am also eager to read more about the equation editor
in Word 2000 from those who already used it. How
does it differ from the one in Word 98? Why do you
think that the word "upgrading" is not appropriate, Jim?
Ludwik Kowalski

Ed Schweber wrote:

Ed Schweber (edschweb@ix.netcom.com)
Physics Teacher at The Solomon Schechter Day School, West Orange,
NJ. To obtain free resources for creative physics teachers visit:
http://www.physicsweb.com

Leon Leonardo asked:

there seems to be virtually no help on how to use its Equation >editor (in
Microsoft Word).

Leon,

The equation editor in Word is a trimmed down version of a program
called MathType produced by a company called design science. It comes with
good documentation.

You can get more info by going to
http://www.mathtype.com

One feature I wish they would have, however, is a calculator function
where you can substitute numbers into an equation and have the answer
automatically calculated. I did once suggest this to them and was told that
they viewed MathType strictly as an editor.

A number of people use a program called Mathcad (or Study Works -its
simpler version for high schools). Mathcad will solve equations and draw
graphs. However, it forces you into a format which I find awkward. You can
check them out at
http://www.mathcad.com

Ed Schweber