Re: "first form an hypothesis..."

On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, felina wrote:

My favorite "method" is to beat my head against a problem far into the
night with no progress in sight, then to finally doze off. Suddenly at
about 3AM the full-blown solution appears, interrupting a dream and
causing me to wake up in shock and write it down before it vanishes from
my mind (which it will if I don't write it down.)

Exactly my method, Bill! It's also the best way to find a really
obscure bug in your code.

YeaH! Sure! I am going to include this in my Science Myth
Encyclopedia.

Um. I don't think I understand. Are you saying that the above method
doesn't work, that it is a myth?

That we are lying to ourselves?

If so, the only method is that a physicist be narcisistic enough to be
admitted in the club !!

ROTFL!!!! Now THAT I can relate to! It certainly was my own narcissism
that drew me to science in the first place. Little did I know that my
efforts to become a "science expert" would force me to confront the
Unknown directly, and tear my bloated ego into little tiny bits.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com