Re: Being careful with directions

I missed the first part of this thread, but if you are at the south
pole, both the sunrise and the sunset occur at due north. Similarly
at the North pole, they occur at due south (One of each per year, of
course). I have to admit, I can't visualize what the situation would
be if you stepped a few meters away from the pole. I'll think on that
one.

Hugh

Now hang on a minute! Just WHERE might you be (and WHEN) to see these
due south or north sunrise/sunset/

The arctic circle perhaps? Are you SURE????

Seems to me that sunrise/sunset directions have got to stay away from
due north/south by ~23.5 degrees?

At 9:26 AM -0500 9/22/99, brian whatcott wrote:
>(a divergent meander)
>
> Amplitude is the difference in angle between the naive expectation
> (due East) and the actual angle. And it turns out that
>dawn's sunrise bearing varies; in some places as widely as between due South
>and due North. And of course, at other places and times, dawn and dusk
>do not occur.
>

>brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
>Altus OK

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936

Hugh Haskell
<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>

have to..