Re: "Horganism"???? Perfect!!

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Hugh Haskell wrote:

Bill, I think you are making too much of the supposed epidemic of
"Horganism." Of course there are scientists afflicted with it,
including some very good ones, but they are a minority. And of course
Horgan may be right, although I seriously doubt it. But even Feynman
entertained the possibility.

I'll give everyone a big target: I claim that Horganism is extremely
widespread and extremely powerful, but its victims cannot see it. If
everyone around us has the same problem, then "that's the way tings spozed
to be," and only an outsider (such as a crackpot?) can have some
perspective, and see the true situation. Insiders then dismiss the
outsiders as being deluded, on the grounds that only insiders can see the
true situation. In fighting people about Kuhn in the past, the anti-Kuhn
people (there are many) stay that Kuhn is wrong because he is no real
scientist, and only a practicing scientist can see the true situation.
The exact opposite seems to be the case.

The reason the Kuhnian analysis rings true is not because of an
innate Horganism among scientists, but a well reasoned conservatism,
coupled with a small amount of not wanting to be made too
uncomfortable by new things (In this light, "Night Thoughts of a
Classical Physicist" is really relevant). This means that most of us
will remain skeptical of radical new ideas (or even radical old ones)
until a solid basis of evidence and a credible and coherent theory
are available in support of the new idea.

Ah, there's where we differ. Evidence must speak louder than theory.
One major effect of "Horganism" is that it makes us confident that current
theory is complete... and then we will dismiss any contrary evidence, even
if that evidence is quite strong.

In the CF controversy, many skeptics of CF have said that the evidence for
CF would be convincing... if it were regarding any other topic. Because
the evidence requires that contemporary Fusion theory have huge unnoticed
holes, the evidence for CF must become suspect, and the "goalpost" is
artifically moved far away so that CF researchers must supply far more
convincing evidence than in any other region of science. Some say this is
a double standard. Others justify it by saying "extraordinary claims
require extraordinary evidence." But who gets to decide how
"extraordiary" Cold fusion really is? For anyone with emotional
involvement or conflicts of interest (such as Fusion researchers whose
whole careers are based upon trust in contemporary fusion theory), the
"extraordinariness" of Cold Fusion conveniently becomes immense, so that
contemporary theories are preserved against possible threat. I believe
that if this sort of emotional bias wasn't present, then the Cold Fusion
controversy would have been resolved by now (and resolved in favor of the
existence of the CF phenomena.)

And if the idea flies too
much in the face of the accepted theories, then it may be some time
before it gets accepted if it happens to be valid.

Right. That's the problem. That "some time" is very long in many cases.
I suspect that it is infinite in many cases (that valid ideas are
suppressed entirely, because they contradict current theories.) Science
certainly must defend itself against bad ideas. There must be barriers.
I'm saying that the barriers about ten times higher than they should be,
and that all sorts of fantastic discoveries are being kept beyond the
filter. I might be able to demonstrate one (see my "energy-sucking
electrodynamics" paper under "NEW STUFF" on www.amasci.com)

On one hand, we cannot just incorporate all new ideas into science without
testing them. I never have advocated such things. On the other hand, if
we raise the "idea-triage" barrier too high, so that many valid ideas are
filtered out along with the bogus ideas, then the crackpots are right, and
modern science is sick, and science is suppressing ideas.

How many ideas are *almost* suppressed? I look at history and see many
examples. Others look at history and see that each example was justified.
Apparantly history is altered depending upon who is doing the looking. If
a person (mainstream scientist) is confident that science is not "sick",
then any symptoms of the sickness will be invisible. If another person (a
maverick) is convinced that science is sick, then the symptoms will
appear, even if no such symptoms exist in reality. How to cut through
this emotion/opinion distortion filter? Simple (yet difficult.) Learn to
see. Learn to see the world as it really is. Learn to put aside opinions
and emotion, and learn to shut off the internal voice which makes
embarassing problems vanish by supplying good justifications for
dismissing each one. Since human egos are powerful forces, and since they
will supply all kinds of unnoticed ploys which make embarassing problems
"vanish", one good way to stop the ploys is to go out and intentionally
court embarassment. Hidden "truths" usually make us uncomfortable and
embarassed. Take that as a clue. Follow the lead of your
discomfort/embarassment, and frequently it will lead you directly to a
"truth" to which all the rest of the world is carefully remaining blind.

Of course most of
the time these ideas prove not to be valid, and the conservatism was
well-founded. I submit that the story of the Gravitational fifth
force from around 1985 (I think) is a good case in point of a radical
new idea that didn't pan out but was handled exactly correctly by all
concerned.

Yes, the 5th force is a counterexample to my viewpoint. Everything there
was done above-board. Evidence was not ignored. But then, the evidence
supported the idea that a 5th force is not real. If the situation was the
opposite, and especially if the evidence was not extremely solid, then I
wouldn't be suprised if the "5th-force controversy" became a re-play of
the Cold Fusion controversy.

As a result of everyone doing things correctly, when it
was over, the original proponents could announce that their
suggestion was wrong, and everyone happily went back to whatever they
were doing before the storm broke. Nobody's career or reputation was
ruined, and there were no recriminations or derisive laughter when
the idea died. I think this is a textbook example of how science
should be done. Compare it to the cold fusion fiasco.

Right. In my opinion, the difference was that "CF" is real. (No I'm not
entirely convinced of this. My opinion hovers around 90% or so.)

So I argue that new ideas aren't as actively resisted as you claim.

If CF is real, then new ideas are actively resisted far more than anyone
can possibly accept. Or, if CF is bogus, then I am wrong, and science
filters out the wrong ideas just as it's supposed to. Anyone who wants to
review the current (embarassing and unsettling) status of "Cold Fusion"
can take a look at the Storms paper at http://www.jse.com/storms/1.html

In a mature science like physics, new phenomena frequently occur near
the signal to noise limit, which often makes them difficult to
distinguish from cases of pathological science, which invariably
occur near that limit (a good example: N-rays). But if the findings
fit in with what is possible in accordance with current
understanding, the new ideas are quickly accepted and incorporated
into the general body of knowledge.

Certainly.

It's when they don't fit that the
gears start to grind. What happens next is usually complex, depending
on the stature of the proponents of both sides, the difficulty of the
experiments, the general tenor of the times, and many other reasons,
most of them psychological rather than scientific. Horganism
certainly plays a role here. But when the old paradigm has gotten too
creaky and everyone realizes it, a new idea is often quickly accepted
even if it is radical (sorry, at this late hour, I can't think of a
good example offhand, but there are such, and I'm sure others on this
list can provide several).

QM is a good candidate. It explained a variety of unanswered questions.
It certainly caused controversy, but not the sort of controversy that Cold
Fusion caused. When "unexplained phenomena" are discovered, and theory
says that they are impossible, then we have an entirely different
situation.

For what it's worth, I always enjoy the comment of Maxwell regarding
the nature of light, quoted, I believe, by William Kingdon Clifford:
(not necessarily word-for-word, I'm reproducing it from memory) "We
used to believe in the corpuscular theory of light, but now we
believe in the wave theory. Not because the evidence for waves was so
compelling, but because all the proponents of the corpuscular theory
have died."

Good one! I hadn't heard it before. Then there's the (misquote?) from
Max Planck: "Science advances, funeral by funeral."

Of course, we've come full circle now on this topic.
Although on the surface it seems to support your thesis, at a deeper
level I think it supports what I am trying to say.

Unless a crackpot invents an antigravity drive, or unless Pons and
Fleichman are vindicated, all this remains a matter of interpretation and
opinion. But then, ever it was thus. When Goddard tries to get funding
for building spaceships, all doors are closed, but when Goddard is
vindicated, we all pretend that Science never makes mistakes in closing
doors on good ideas.

Does anyone else remember this bit of trivia which recently popped into my
head after 30 years:

"It cannot work, master, the Kinessive overextends into the Gibraun."

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com