Re: List of Lists

I agree with John Denker below. The "old" guys are falling behind so
that if you want fast searching of as much of the web as possible, you
should now use FAST at http://www.alltheweb.com/ I expect FAST will
keep pulling farther ahead of the pack for shear size and speed,
especially since Google is in no rush to go commercial. However, if
you've never looked through the help screen for AltaVista you may be
surprised at all the very useful features they have (and which unlike
many other search engine's "advanced" features - actually work). I use
AltaVista for my most challenging web research projects.

John S. Denker wrote:
1) Specifically: try
http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=aq&what=news&q=complete.protein

which will lead you to several different usenet newsgroups where you could
find/start such a discussion.

2) More generally: A wizard shouldn't give away all his tricks, but here's
a hint: AltaVista is a pretty big stick. Lots of fun. Learning how to
wield it properly is (for me anyway) well worth the investment.

AltaVista's coverage has been getting worse, but it still has the best
advanced-query interface I've seen.

--

Doug Craigen
Latest Project - the Physics E-source