Re: Death due to Nitrous Oxide

Greg Puskar wrote regarding the recent death of an MIT physics student from
inhaling nitrous oxide:

The point is we must always emphasize the hazards associated with
demos
when presenting them. We cannot assume that observers, even a
physics
major, will not try to replicate something at home without realizing
the
potential consequences.

I've seen no evidence that inhaling nitrous oxide was the result of seeing a
science demo. It more appropriately falls under the category of volatile
chemical/solvent abuse, along with other chemicals such as acetone, toluene,
trichloroethane, and diethyl ether.

However, your words of caution for legitimate science demos is valid.
Recently on the Tonight Show, a physics teacher demonstrated the common
effect on speech after inhaling helium from a balloon. He then had Jay
inhale the sulfur hexafluoride (SF6; 6.5g/L) from another balloon and speak
(bosso profundo!). After the demo, the teacher had Jay bend over and exhale
sharply several times. (I suppose he could have hung by his feet for a while
to get rid of the denser-than-air SF6.)

Rick

Richard G. Strickert, Ph.D.
Radian International