Re: style

"Spagna Jr., George" wrote:

In all fairness to Ludwik, that was my comment, to which he was responding!
I stand by the statement, especially the phrase "not ... always" - e-mail
software is not uniform. Paul may be able to check spelling and grammar,
and I may, but some folks cannot back up to edit messages.

George, your rationale escapes me. Why is backing up required? Does anyone use
e-mail software that doesn't allow him to pause and check doubtful spelling and
punctuation before pressing the Send button?

I am such a poor speller that I refer to my handy little copy of "20,000 Words"
every time I sit down to write anything, as I did in the first sentence of this
note.

I realize that it doesn't bother many folks to send messages containing such
errors. They attempt to justify such sloppiness by claiming that their notes are
fast and informal and that the content is all that's important, leaving the
readers to wonder whether the writer really doesn't see the errors or just
doesn't think that the readers are worth the effort. Some of these writers, in
fact, seem to flaunt their poor spelling like a badge of honor while flouting
those who call their English mistakes to notice.

But I feel that teachers, above all others, should set good examples to peers as
well as students. Would they include such errors in messages to their department
chairman or dean? It's not all that difficult or time consuming to review and
correct one's use of English in a message before letting it leave one's desk.
And I think it extends courtesy to the readers, showing them that the writer
values their opinion no less than he values the dean's.

poj
Collin County College