Re: intentionally distorting arguments

I would be happy to be an impartial observer if I followed
the debate very carefully. Most of us would be probably too
busy to serve on a jury. Especially now that another school
year is about to begin. In my opinion phys-L is not an appropriate
place for extensive debates among experts. On the other hand,
watching the debate, even superficially, was interesting and
informative. But I would delete many messages without
reading if it were not the summer.

I do not know what else to say. Perhaps somebody who did
follow the debate very carefully, and who can be objective,
will summarize it for us and tell us if the accusation is justified.
It is our list and we do not spoil it. Somebody must be right
and somebody must be wrong but who am I to decide?

Ludwik Kowalski

William Beaty wrote:

.... Is all this an innocent mistake on John's part? If you believe so,
then
we can go back into the phys-L archives and I can show you quite a number
of other such "mistakes." When it is a repeated event, it no longer
becomes so "innocent." In addition, it is a common strategy used on the
newsgroups, and its presence is quite obvious to those who've had to deal
with it in the past. This sort of "innocent mistake" is used all the time
in newsgroup battles. When its victims complain, the perpetrator can say
"oh, I just made an innocent mistake that even you could make."

Phys-L is NOT the newsgroups. This sort of "debating tactic" is abhorrant
when it crops up in a discussion of science. Science is not about keeping
our opponents confused and off-balance, and preventing them from clearly
seeing the flaws in our arguments. Science is about getting to the bottom
of things. John Denker's behavior shows that this is not his goal.