Re: Downwash reflecting up?

David,

I'm not sure if your message is in reference to my post about the model
rocket thrust measured increase. Possibly I am writing to think
this through myself. Your comment/proposal is helpful.

The constraint offered by momentum conservation would mean that the
launched rocket would initially have a higher acceleration (increased
thrust) over a shorter time. The impulse would be the same as supplied
only by the reaction engine in space.

If the a vaccum cleaner hose(attached to the outflow port) is held close to
the wall it feels as if it is "pushing harder." Blowing near a wall is
possible...but you would probably have to blow much harder than I am
able to in order to "feel" this difference? (Though my students think
I probably have the wind for it.)

Tim

Tim.Burgess@Juno.com