Re: Evolution in schools (was Re: Evolution...)

From 2 honorable correspondents:

Most of the physics teachers I know are not physics majors. In my state, to
teach science you have to collect so many hours in life sciences, physical
sciences, and earth sciences. Then you have to collect a total of 35 hours in
either earth science, life science, chemistry, or physics. That gets you
certified in that subject. You also have to have 20 hours in one of the other
disciplines -- which also gets you a certification. You can then be certified
in any other science by amassing 12 hours in it. Most physics teachers have
just the 12 hours in physics.

I'm a high school physics teacher with a Masters degree in physics. I've
also served as science chair in 4 different schools. I can testify that it
is hard to find qualified physics teachers. When you do find one, if (s)he
has too much experience, the administration will not be pleased.
Administrators prefer novices because of their place on the salary scale.

Imagine my absolute jaw-dropping shock when I discovered that, in
lowly White Cross NC, little more than a crossroads, a 30-mile drive
from my house and 17 from where I work, at my son's charter high
school (9-12), with a total enrollment of 80, managed to hire a PhD
in physics who also finished 2 postdoctoral positions in
biochemistry, to run their science program.

I spent some time talking to her on the first day of school, and
liked what I saw (and heard too, no snide remarks please). Although
technically a public school, such a school tends to be ignored by the
public school officials and even is secretly wished to fail. This
gives them quite a bit of leeway in picking teachers, although they
of course must show progress toward certification. It is still not
clear to me why this person would choose such a position, and I admit
that is not a charitable attitude, but I am pleased nonetheless.

Now if they can only get the students to take advantage of it!

Stefan Jeglinski