FLYING MACHINES to "thrust"

A colleague of mine (HS Physics teacher on staff here) mentioned that when
using PASCO interfacing equipment he detected an increased force of thrust
when close to the ground. He claimed there is a marked increase in the
measured thrust as he ignited the engine in a vertical position close to the
ground. Initially I did not have an explanation, but the discussion on
flight here has caused me to rethink this observation.

Is it possible that this measured thrust is "upwash" reaction collisions
that are transmitted back to the rocket during launch?

While using a water hose this weekend near a concrete patio I clearly
noticed this "increased thrust" with constant water flow when within a
diameter of the hose distance from the patio.

Is this total force a "thrust force" or is it considered another force
component (such as a reaction upwash force?) Is a "thrusting
force" of an engine only the force provided only be ejected particles in a
vaccuum?

Do I have the explanation close to right?

Tim

Tim Burgess Tim.Burgess@Juno.com
UMS-Wright Preparatory School, Mobile, Alabama

Note: Not everyone in Alabama with a Juno account aligns with creationsists.