Re: bad-faith argumentation (was *earth* vs. *wing*)

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, John Denker wrote:

At 02:20 AM 8/22/99 -0700, William Beaty wrote:

I think the author is referring to John Denker's long-held assertion that
airplanes fly because there is a force between the wings and the earth's
surface. That's what this whole debate is really about. (Although I
haven't heard what Mr. Denker's explanation of high-level flight has
become currently, so perhaps he has changed his position.)

This looks like bad-faith argumentation to me.

Mr. Beaty *knows* that I do not assert and have never asserted a *direct*
force between the earth and the wings.

I do know this. The force obviously must be an "indirect" force-pair
mediated by the air. However, whether direct or indirect, either it's a
force-pair, or it's not a Newtonian force.

I honestly thought that you assert that there is an (indirect) force-pair
between the wings and the surface of the earth.

Am I mistaken? If so, then please explain to me, what does the (indirect)
force pair lie between, if not between the wings and the earth?

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com