Re: levels of belief

Why do many other people expect categorical immutable truths? It seems to me
that the way we teach science in our society has trained them to expect it.
The media spits out all kinds of scientific information as "truth" every day.
The level of certainty for these "truths" sometimes seem to fall in the range
of 51% rather than 99%. Teachers teach things as "just so". The investigation
behind ideas and the uncertainty inherent in those ideas is rarely mentioned.
Religious dogma has been replace in many ways with scientific dogma. We as
those who teach should work hard to make our students aware of and comfortable
with the limitations of scientific reasoning. They need to be good consumers
of information.

I will be interested to read some of your partially-baked ideas.

Cliff Parker

But we need to recognize that many other people have been led to expect
categorical
immutable truths, and any lower level of belief leaves them uncomfortable and
unsatisfied.