Re: Evolution and Creationism

----- Original Message -----
From: William Beaty <billb@ESKIMO.COM>

So, science can't say that creationism is wrong, since science refuses to
study the religious side of life scientifically. Maybe the earth is a
"Superbeing's Garden", and maybe most scientists have been intentionally
blinding themselves to this fact all along. Maybe if an intentional
scientific/religious investigation was undertaken, we would eventually
arrive at the truth.

If we had actually studied the spiritual side of life scientifically for
decades and found that "religious experiences" were nothing but brain
malfunctions, and that all religions were pure superstition, then things
would be different. Since we have not done so, we have no fundamental
weapon to use against creationists who wish to present a dissenting
viewpoint in science classrooms.

But who really is to blame for this? It seems to me that scientists with
religious convictions would almost be 'obligated' to do this research. What
better way to serve those beliefs than to provide scientific evidence to
support them? Could it be that such attempts HAVE been made--and
failed--and therefore not reported. Of course it would not be in the
religious-serving purposes of such scientists (especially Christians) to
investigate UFOs, poltergeists, or most paranormal phenomena too closely,
since confirmation of any of these might conflict with their religious
beliefs.

In other words, the 'refusal' to study religious phenomenon scientifically
IS scientifically illogical (at least for religious scientists) unless it is
clear (from previous experimentation or more deeply held scientific beliefs)
that such work would be fruitless. However, the very same 'religious
scientists' who should be anxious to pursue the study of religious phenomena
might be very hesitant to study other 'strange' phenomena which might
seriously conflict with their belief systems. Ultimately what I'm
suggesting here is that if there really is insufficient scientific testing
of religious claims, then there is nobody to blame but religious scientists.
To their (minor) credit, the so-called 'scientific creationists' at least
attempt to do this--badly if we can judge from just the examples that have
appeared on this list--but attempts nonetheless.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE AVAILABLE
see descriptions at:

http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/