From: Jim Green [mailto:JMGreen@SISNA.COM]
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 1999 4:27 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Y2K

NAVY Y2K REPORT PREDICTS 'LIKELY' UTILITY OUTAGES IN SEVERAL
CITIES
A recent updated Navy report predicts that electric utilities
serving nearly 60 of the approximately 400 Navy and Marine
facilities will probably suffer a power outage due to the year
2000 (Y2K) computer bug. The military report also expected power
failures in several cities, including Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale,
Fla.; as well as some midwinter natural gas failures in such
places as Fort Worth, Texas; Columbus, Ohio; and Albany, N.Y.
The Navy report is in sharp contrast to other predictions,
including conclusions from the White House. John
Koskinen--President Clinton's top Y2K advisor--said the Navy's
results were overly cautious and were based on the worst-case
scenario. (Washington Post 08/20/99)

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen