Re: Evolution and Creationism

At 10:13 AM 8/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
Resonse for item (2)

2)
Most sets of fundamental constants would lead to a universe
in which life could not exist. Therefore, the fundamental
constants of the universe must have been fine-tuned by a
creator who wished to bring man into existence.

This comment refers to something known as the "Anthropic Principle", which
loosely states that the laws of nature, and values of physical constants,
and properties of particles etc etc, must be such that they would allow
sentient observers to be present in the universe.

These statements bring to mind an interesting quote...

"It would seem that the universe is thirty billion light years across and
every inch of it would kill us if we went there. This is the position of
th eunivers with regard to human life." - Martin Amis

And, to toss a theological wrench out, I do believe that the universe was
created with the potential for life, though not specifically for us...

-G-
Gordon Smith
National Center for Physical Acoustics
Coliseum Drive