Re: "Simple pendulum"

I think it is reasonable to add the simple/conical pendulum to the
misconception list as Ludwik suggests.

The explanation as written also seems okay, except I think the
dependence of period on the angle is stated backwards. It depends upon
the choice of theta. If theta is the angle between the pendulum string
and a vertical line, then the simple pendulum period increases with
theta whereas the conical pendulum period decreases with theta.

I believe this would be the standard definition of theta, and if
defined as such, the maximum theta is typically how one describes the
amplitude of the simple pendulum.

I agree with Ludwik that the conical pendulum does not have an
"amplitude" in the sense that amplitude typically means the maximum
deviation for an object oscillating through its equilibrium position;
and the conical pendulum rotates at constant deviation from the
equilibrium position rather than oscillating through it. But unless
someone can suggest a better name for the angle of the conical
pendulum, I am not opposed to calling it an amplitude.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817