Re: A ball in a rotating dish (was Hot air rising ...)

At 10:37 7/31/99 +0100, Ludwik wrote:

Referring to a ball in a rotating dish, such as a salad bowl on
a turn-table, Robert Cohen wrote:

... the ball will remain stationary (relative to the surface)
no matter where the ball is placed as long as the ball is
initially stationary (relative to the surface).

Suppose the dish is a perfect sphere and there is no friction.
Then the restoring force acting on the ball is exactly the same
as in a pendulum, m*g*sin(TET)....
To produce equilibrium, in the rotating frame, the tangential
component of the centrifugal force and the restoring force must
have the same magnitude.

m*v^2*cos(TET)/(R*sin(TET) = m*g*sin(TET).

Substituting 2*Pi*R*sin(TET)*f for v, leads to a relation
between the expected angle TET (position of the small piece
on the dish surface) and the rotating frequency of the dish.

cos(TET)=g/(R*omega^2)....

Something is not right; my formula does not allow for
f<1.114 (which is the frequency of the corresponding
pendulum). It also keeps the piece on the surface, no
matter how large is f. What is wrong?
Ludwik Kowalski

I took pleasure in playing with this puzzle for an hour or so.
Then after equating sin(theta) and cos(theta) and tan(theta)
to theta for small theta, and approximating cos theta to
1 - theta^2/2.... I sat back and contemplated the shakiness
of the edifice - so lacking the shortcut insight, I simply note
that (in answer to Ludwick's second question) no matter how fast
a spherical bowl is rotated, the internal ball goes nowhere
when it hits the vertical surface until the bowl shatters!

I would not be displeased to see one of those magnificently
clear developments of Ludwick's puzzle for which this list
has been noted.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK