a practical physics problem with pulleys

I have a domestic problem which the group here might help me with.
I want to raise an inverted canoe to a place between two rafters
under a horizontal carport roof using ropes and pulleys affixed to
the rafters. I am sure there is some clever rigging that will
allow me to do this with great ease and elegance. For example, I
would like to do it with a single rope if possible. It is difficult
to imagine any rigging that does not provide a mechanical advantage
of two, but a greater MA is desirable. Oh yes, the rope can slide
over the canoe gunwales. They are hard, smooth plastic.

Does anyone know of a book on rigging? where do I look in the
library?

Leigh