Re: Hot air rising and automobile thermometers

I don't think I can make a good demonstration of the sort Ludwik wants,
but I do remember seeing a very impressive demonstration at, I believe,
the Lawrence Hall of Science. It was a horizontal turntable with a
liquid jet mounted on it which could be varied in orientation. The
observer cranks the turntable to the desired speed and, I think, turns
the jet on and off. The neat thing about this exhibit was the optical
prism system that was mounted and driven also by the disk. It was very
clever, and it put the observer into the rotating frame, looking down
along the axis of rotation! I would have to figure for a while to
reconstruct how it was done (it was done by someone cleverer than I).

Does anyone in the group have information about that exhibit? Was it
ever written up? I'm thinking back to 1980 here.

Leigh