Re: A MISCONCEPTION ITEM

Would it be more proper to use "upper-level tropospheric wind velocities"
rather than "common wind velocities", or am I being too picky?

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |
| http://www.esu.edu/~bbq/ (570) 422-3428 |

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

6) On our rotating planet common wind velocities
are more or less parallel to the isobaric lines,
not more or less perpendicular. Common winds
are due to regional pressure differences but
the directions of their flows are affected by
planetary rotation (Coriolis effect).