Re: hot air rising

At 01:45 PM 7/21/99 -0400, Robert A Cohen wrote:

Hmmm...perhaps the difference is just one of terminology. I would say
that the floppy plastic bags prevent molecular mixing. I was using mixing
to describe the larger-scale exchange of air parcels,

Flow is not the same as mixing.

students will typically
not recognize that and will end up interpreting "adiabatic cooling" as
cooling that occurs because the air parcels mix with the surrounding,
cooler air.

Adiabatic cooling has everything to do with flow and nothing to do with mixing.

I guess I am still confused. If the hot air was "even hotter" before it
went upstairs, then wouldn't it be "even hotter" on the lower floors?

That depends on what you mean by "it". First, let's define _it_ to mean
the parcel of air that rose. _It_ was was out of equilibrium with its
neighbors -- otherwise _it_ wouldn't have been hot and _it_ wouldn't have
risen.

Now define /it/ to be the ambient temperature. /It/ is hotter upstairs
because of the accumulation of little parcels of air that came out of the
heating vent and have been hot ever since.