Re: Planet rotation

David is correct, but the time for this interaction to complete the
locking process is not readily calculable. I've been working on the
interesting problem of Neptune and Triton without much success. The
process approaches completion asymptotically anyway, since in the
end the relative motion will be nutation about the lock with ever
diminishing amplitude. I should also mention that another tendency
of such two body tidal interactions is circularization of the orbit.

Leigh

I didn't mean the Neptune-Triton process approaches a tidal lock
and circularization. It can't because Triton is in a retrograde
orbit about Neptune. Triton will "eventually" crash into Neptune
if Neptune doesn't evaporate when the Sun evolves (it probably
won't). The Sun-Venus system should approach the condition
described in the original note.

Leigh