Re: Planet rotation

At 11:41 AM 7/7/99 -0400, Jim Braunsdorf wrote:
>I was reading a couple of recent notes and started wondering about
planetary rotations.
> Is it possible for a planet not to rotate?

Planets were formed by the accretion of matter from the pre-solar disk that
surrounded the protosun. In order for a planet to end up with no rotation,
the net angular momentum of all of the constitute particles that
contributed to its condensation would have to add up to zero. This is
possible but not very likely. And as others have indicated, once planets
form they interact with other bodies like the sun and their moons through
tidal forces that can alter a planet's rotation.

Ron Ebert
ron.ebert@ucr.edu

If indeed, as it appears, Venus has retrograde rotation, won't the
sun's tidal effect be to STOP its rotation (relative to the 'fixed'
stars) and then move it toward the non-retrogade rotation that will
match its year?

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936