Re: Howard Voss' Testimony

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 05:57:42 -0500
From: Karl Trappe <trappe@PHYSICS.UTEXAS.EDU>

Look around at the make-up of large departments. Sadly, some *very poor
teachers* have been occupying the rungs of the ladder for so long that
students are driven away from a good experience in Physics.

I wonder how the numbers of bright, eager students driven away by poor
teachers compares with the number of dull, lazy students that would
rather die than work too hard, especially if they actually had to learn
something in the process.
I also wonder how many bright, eager, young teachers are driven away
from a good experience in teaching by *very poor students* -- such as
the dull, apathetic ones now seen all too commonly?
I note wryly that neither circumstance shows up on the sacred student
"evaluations" now de jure everywhere. (Neither do students concocting
spiteful lies on these things, but that's another matter.)

Phil Parker

URL http://www.math.twsu.edu/Faculty/Parker/
Random quote for this second:
"Why do we have to hide from the police, Daddy?"
"Because we use LaTeX, son. They use Word."