Re: Plasma-flamingo alert!

At 10:56 6/22/99 -0700, you wrote:
As a kid I remember Jerryco and Edmund Sci catalogs selling exotic
light-bulbs which contained glowing, multi-colored electrodes in the shape
of flowers, birds, etc. ...Archie Mcphee is *the* place
for all your 50's suburb-culture needs...
http://www.mcphee.com
... in the flamingo-bulb, the palm tree appears to be
electrically isolated from everything, and it's a couple of cm from the
AC driven electrodes, yet it glows. Why?

William J. Beaty

I'd guess at ion bombardment.
And on a much less spectacular level, but still from suburbia, I have
a current example of a neon flickering "candle-flame" effect bulb
intended for those coach lanterns out front.
Another bulb that's held its own, is the long flexible filament,
dancing around the permanent magnet inside the envelope.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK