Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:39:50 -0700
From: "Jon Singer (Wasser)" <a-jonsin@microsoft.com>
Subject: Hi! Anybody want a 100-watt longwave UV spotlight?

(Yeah, I know, it's farfetched. That's why I specified low import.)

I put a bid on a UVP 100-watt lamp on LabX the other day, and
when push came to shove, I prevailed. The seller has now advised
me that they've got a total of 5 of these things, and that I can
have any or all at $75 apiece, which was my final bid. (The new
price was apparently just over $400.) These are used, probably
a slightly older model (I think it's B-100P), but in good shape
according to the seller.

If I understand correctly, the device is a box with a 6- or 8-foot
cord on the end of which is a handheld spotlight with the usual
filter... all done in tasteful black plastic. Plugs into the wall via
another 6- or 8-foot cord. If you want to see current versions,
try http://www.uvp.com/html/b100etc.html (I think the B-100AP
is the closest to what I'm being offered.)

This thing can be used for identifying some minerals, some
fungi, & various other items. Certain pottery glazes turn out
to be fluorescent (some of them rather expectedly), etc., etc.
It will also light up brown eggs and salad mustard rather
sweetly, and you don't wanna think about what would happen
if you aimed it at your old black-light posters or anything
labelled "day-glo". ;o)

If you want a relatively high-intensity 365nm source, please
advise. I have to get back to them within a couple days, though,
so advise soon. [This notice was issued on 16 June, 1999.]
If you know of other people who might be up for this, please
let me know. I'm happy to contact them.

Yo!
jon

PS: If anyone has a nice _shortwave_ UV lamp that they would
like to trade for one of these, please let me know! I have need of
a filtered shortwave lamp, and do not currently own one.