Re: a small clarification re:intro phys

I think we were typing much faster than we were proofing. Well said, Jim.
I did not mean to imply that anyone could "not use physics again", or that
the algebra based course did not have its value to society. I am just
suggesting that it is incorrect to lump our bright pre-meds in with that
group rather than with the ones who "already are prepared" for a calculus
based physics course. Karl

It was mentioned and then requoted by several people that the students
who take the algebra-based intor course are the ones we assume will not
use physics again.
I believe that is not true and that what is meant is that they will not
take another physics course. that is not the same thing as not using
physics.
As someone else mentioned, we may have another chance to fill in gapsfor
those who take another course.
Sme folks therefore do take the approach that this is our only chance
to "tell" the algebra-based course students everything they need to know...
in a scatteer-gun approach.
It may be more appropriate to select and teach topics in a manner that
leads them to recognizewhen and how physics will come up in their other
future courses and employment so that they can use what they know with some
confidence and can continue to expand their knowledge of physics rather
than say "well, that would be useful if I could do it, but it is getting
into physics and that is where I get off the track."
Attitude has a lot to do with the choices they will make.

Jim Braunsdorf

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081