MCAT

What I discovered was that
the NUMBER ONE skill necessary for students to perform well was the ability
to READ (with some emphasis on reading 'technical' material). The bulk of
the MCAT physics questions can be answered using simple logic and a careful
reading of the passages

OK, now consider this: Many children of Medical doctors are not getting
into medical school because they are beaten out by first generation
American students with superior science skills, but with inferior command
of the English language. This is the direct result of the removal (several
decades ago) of culturally biased questions about opera, baseball, etc.

Recently, the MCAT was rewritten with the addition of a separate English
Writing skills section, and as has been indicated, with a de-emphasis of
scientific content in favor of scientific skills based on language skills
manner" issues.

Am I cynical to speculate on the direct effect this has had on immigrant
MCAT performance? TILT Karl

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081