Lightning ???

There was a spectacular lightning storm last tonight. I was driving
down the
highway and was treated to quite a show. I began to wonder about the
nature of what I was seeing. One particular question came to mind.
Maybe some of you can answer the question for me or direct me to a
source. My question: Why does a lightning bolt's flash oscillate in
intensity?