Re: physics goals

On Mon, 24 May 1999 17:53:24 -0400 "Steven D. Richardson"
<richarsd@CHOICE.NET> writes:
Our high school is currently revising our science class
descriptions/goals. I am in the process of working on both the
college prep and lower level physics outcomes. In the past, the goals
were
fairly general but there seems to be much freedom in this revison. What

would you say are the most important goals you would want your students
leave with at

(a) the college prep

Goals

1. Foster a love of physics and a desire to learn more
2. Ability to translate concepts into mathematical terms and vice versa.

and (b) lower level physics?

1. Learn the basic concepts of physics so they can be applied to daily
life.
2. Appreciate practical advantages of using mathematics as it applies to
science
and everyday life.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(where few students see any practical advantages of mathematics beyond
arithmetic)