Re: Rudolf Gottlieb

At 11:10 PM 5/23/99 -0600, Jim Green wrote:
At least I won't feel like a geek if I use his "real" ie birth name in a
paper.

At 03:05 PM 5/23/99 -0600, Jim Green wrote:
What I really want to have
is a reference to this -- I can't find one anywhere.
Any citation would be helpful.

Clausius's father was named Carl E. Gottlieb [ref 2].

Clausius himself was called Rudolf Julius Emmanuel Clausius. No evidence
has yet been adduced suggesting he ever called himself anything else.

I can't imagine why using some other name in a paper would improve the
paper in any way.

Respectable references I checked include:
1) Encyclopedia Britannica
2) World's Who's Who in Science
3) Dictionary of Scientific Biography

Another consistent data point is this: