Re: Earth's Magnetic Field

At 3:12 PM -0600 5/10/1999, Michael Edmiston wrote:
I didn't even know there was any confusion on this. The way I've
always taught it, and every book I have says:

The north geographic pole is a south magnetic pole. Therefore, when
examining a magnet, the pole orienting itself toward geographic north
is the north magnetic pole of that magnet.

I've taught it the same way that you have, but I _have_ seen textbooks that
have it the opposite way. The _physics_ texts seem to agree with us, but
my Geology colleague showed me her textbook which has it the other way (but
the flux lines were "right").

Larry Smith