LASERS, cavity waves, coherence

On Sun, 2 May 1999, David W. Steyert wrote:

William Beaty wrote:
I think it should be called "concentric" rather than "confocal", since
the mirrors have their center of curvatures in common, not their focal
lengths. If the laser cavity was con-focus, then the output-beam
would be a parallel beam superposed on a sphere-wave beam with origin
at the center of focus (probably not usable for, say, holography).

Which caused me to disagree:
My recollection was that resonators of many different types have a role
in lasers. Without wanting to solve problems by appeal to authority, I
will say that a check of my favorite laser book (Principles of Lasers,
by Svelto) confirmed my recollection:

"The disadvantages of a concentric resonator are that:(i) it produces a
very small spot size at the resonator center, which can be a problem for
high-power lasers. [The center of the ruby ball in William's post would
suffer hot spot damage p.d.q. (DWS)](ii) it is rather sensitive to
mirror misalignment. . . . Confocal resonators, on the other hand,
typically give a spot size that is too small for effective use of all
the available cross section of the laser medium. Plane-parallel
resonators can make good use of the cross section. Like concentric
resonators, however,they are rather sensitive to mirror misalingment.
For the various reasons discussed above, the most commonly used laser
resonators make use of either two concave mirrors of large radius of
curvature (say from two to ten times the resonator length) or a plane
mirror and a concave mirror of large radius."

Hi David! Very interesting. I suspect that this could answer a number of
questions I've had about laser operation. I've wondered about that
hotspot problem myself. (And as always, I want to find out where my
conceptual mistakes are, so that *I* don't go around spreading
misconceptions.)

If the standing wave in the laser cavity is not a unique plane wave or
sphere wave, won't this have serious effects on the structure of the
exiting beam? For a confocal cavity, I can't picture a wave pattern which
doesn't result in combinations of several sphere-waves having various
curvatures. The resulting output beam would seem to issue from several
point-source emitters along the axis within the laser cavity.

Suppose we have a short, fat laser resonator with semi-confocal mirrors:

100% 99.9%

| \
| | LASER CAVITY
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| /

<------- F -------->

A (overly-crude) ray diagram of the
standing wave and the output beam:

_____\
_____----- /
______-----
|____________________|_______________________________________\
| _____------ |
|--_____ |
| ------______ |
|___________________==|==____________________________________\
| | -------______ /
| / -----_____
-----____\
/

The output beam would contain two waves, one with a 1F radius of
curvature, and a plane-wave with infinite radius. Perhaps the typical
standing wave is different than I have drawn? Is there some particular
standing-wave pattern which results in a sphere-wave output beam?

Svelto goes into a lot of treatment finding the standing waves that will
survive in a stable cavity, and I suspect that the reason ray diagrams
can mislead us is that we have to consider the wave nature of light, if
not while it's interacting with the medium at least while it's bouncing
around in our cavity.

I can see that this would be very true for a long, narrow cavity where any
sphere waves become identical to plane waves. Perhaps my short, fat
cavity exaggerates the non-wave character of light, and creates issues
which might not exist at all if the cavity is long and narrow.

For the various reasons discussed above, the most commonly used laser
resonators make use of either two concave mirrors of large radius of
curvature (say from two to ten times the resonator length) ...

If the radius of mirror curvature was a large multiple of the resonator
length, then the standing wave might become several superimposed
sphere-waves with differing radii, and if the exiting beam was focused
with a lens, there would be a series focused hotspots along the beam axis.
This sounds familiar... somebody told me that most lasers have immense
spatial coherence, but the coherence has a periodic character: two beams
must be within a few cm of the same length to be coherent, *OR* they must
be within a few cm of a multiple of the resonator length. In other words,
the spatial coherence of the beam is sinusoidal along the beam path, only
decaying to zero after a distance equivalent to a large number of cavity
lengths. Has anyone heard of this effect? If real, where does it come
from? Is it true of classroom HeNe lasers?

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com