Re: CBL/ Mag Field Sensor

You may measure B as a function of the distance from a
long (for example 2 meters) wire when distances are from
2 to 10 cm or so. Measurements should be done close to
the center. The problem is to find a source of a sufficiently
large constant current. A car battery is a good source, even
an old one.

Here is a suggestion, if you have a limited budget. Go to
a store where people return old batteries (to get the $5
credit toward the new one). Say you are a teacher trying
to prepare an experiment. Tell them what you plan to do.
Most likely they will give you an old battery for nothing
(or in exchange for a really dead one).

Make sure R (of your wire, and of the rheostat) is small
enough to get a large current and measurable B.

Mike Wilson wrote:

<From: Mike Wilson mwilson@colosys.net>

I would like to use the Vernier Magnetic Field Sensor with the CBL
units in a high school physics course.

What ideas would the list suggest for measurement?
My current thoughts: strength of the earth's mag field, increasing mag.
field strength with current (?is this possible with the probe)...