Re: infrared images

At 09:03 3/18/99 -0500, you wrote:
The night-vision type camera with image intensfiers also work in the
near infrared and so will probably not work for thermal sensing.

joe

I felt unsatisfied with the outcome of this thread, in that we could point
to video cameras of the solid state (CCD) type on the one hand, and the
real IR imagers as accessible only on a rental or grace and favor basis
from utilities on the other.

At this point there was a suggestion that simply a point reading would
serve (for instance to find drafts in windows) and this may be the low cost
solution.
Whereas the CCD videocameras response hardly stretches past 1200 nm, the
passive IR sensors that serve as intruder alerts have a more desirable
frequency range of 7 to 14 um.

Today I received a gadget/component cat in the mail.
Marlin P Jones phone 1-800 652-6733
<http://www.mpja.com>

A component there caught my eye:
"IR motion detector sensor
Nippon Ceramic Co. RE200B dual IR sensing elements
mounted in a TO-5 metal case
(This is an ordinary transistor packaging -BW)
Connected electrically series opposed to cancel common mode signals.
Differential signals are amplified by FET amp
Horizontal field of view 138 degrees
Vertical field of view 125 deg
Operating volts 3 to 10 VDC
Optical bandwidth 7-14 um
Designed for motion detection.
Stock No: 7250-OP IR Motion Sensor $3.25 "

I imagine this is the active component in many IR motion detectors
which run not much more than $10

I had a flash of outlandish imagination:
that if one mounted this device in a short tube to limit the field of
view and rotated the tube on a little motor mount arrangement,
the mechanical scanner could light an LED with its output signal,
to provide a sort of pre WWII TV signal from the thirties of
temperature discontinuities outside a warm house at night....

Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK