Re: infrared images

---Jim Braunsdorf <JBRAUNSDORF@DELPHI.COM> wrote:

What does is t take to take heat images of a house for example to
show
heat leaks? Is there an infrared sensitv ive film that can be
loaded
into a regular 35 mm camera?
Greetings,

I too was interested in using a 35 mm camera to detect thermal
radiation. I called our local camera store (Pauls Camera, in
Torrance, CA) who has a nice supply of IR film which can be used in an
ordinary 35 mm camera. However it is only sensitive to wavelengths up
to about 1100 nm, which is a small portion of the "heat" portion of
thermal radiation---as distinct from the "light" portion. I ended up
using a CBL with a vernier thermometer with a transistor heat-sink
thermally incontact with the end of the probe. I was interested in
local leaks as opposed to the entire house in one "shot."

I have recently purchased a Sony Hi-8 video camera which actually uses
a built-in infrared floodlamp good for up to about 15 feet from the
camera. I havn't tried pointing the camera at a pot of boiling water
in a dark kitchen for example, with the lamp covered and the camera on
infrared-mode. I will try it tonight, thanks to your note.

Leon

Leon