anti-theft strips

Perhaps it's classified information, but just between you and me:

Anyone out there know just how those anti-theft strips that are often
inserted in books, or attached to CDs. etc, work? I've taken a few
apart, both inside and outside the store, and found they are all what
appears to be a very small capacitor with one obviously metal plate,
and the other plate, well, at least it is metal like. Electret? In
anycase, if they are tightly squeezed together (the plates, that is)
they don't work.

Particulaly, how is it that they are so easily desensitized?

Note: this is a strictly academic query.

Leon