Re: Energy Budgets

I would have them measure energy use themselves. One great tool for this is
called a clamp-on ammeter. It measures the current in household appliances by
induction, no dangerous connections are required. I let the students check
them out and measure things at home like the TV etc. It is easy to hook one
to a computer to get time-histories of the transient current in a device like
a drill. I purchased mine at Radio Shack.

Dan Burns
Los Gatos High School

"James W. Wheeler" wrote:

I will be teaching a course for general education students next fall on
"Matter and Energy". I would like to be able to discuss everyday items in
terms of the energy required to produce and operate them. Does anyone
have such information, or a source of such information? Please send it to
me. Thanks.