From: JACK L. URETSKY (C)1998; HEP DIVISION, ARGONNE NATIONAL LAB ARGONNE,
IL 60439 <JLU@HEP.ANL.GOV>
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Date: Friday, January 29, 1999 11:07 PM
Subject: Re: Alternating Current

To Bob Sciamanda-
You misread me. Or, at least, you misquote me. Or, I spoke
imprecisely.
If the length of me sample is .01 s, then my uncertainty in frequence is
100 Hz.
Your scope views the signal for a very long time: the scanning interval
times the
number of scans that you see.
Stated another way, take the Fourier transform of a section of a
120 Hz
sinusoid that is .01 sec long. The spectral content of the FT would be
enough
to choke a horse. Are we now communicating?
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography