Re: Printed Circuit Boards

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Timothy Usher wrote:

Does anyone have recent experience with printed circuit board
construction, particularly double sided circuit boards?

I used two of the photocopier/iron-on PCB kits a couple of years ago. I
was building double-sided PCBS with 16-pin and 40-pin DIP ICS and lots of
discrete 1/8w resistors.

I'll have to look up the company names if I can find them, but the best
one was the blue plastic iron-on sheets. You use the blue sheets in a
photocopier (I taped smaller pieces onto paper), then you use a hand iron
to melt the black toner onto the sheet. The plastic peels off, leaving
black plastic traces. Reeeeeeeaaly nice, but it takes some effort to get
the copper clean enough beforehand. 600-grit sandpaper, followed by
pre-etching and white cotton gloves did the trick. Photo-etching gives
far higher quality, but you need to put together a whole mini-darkroom for
that.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com