Re: conceptual software

Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

Skilled plumbers or skilled electricians can be trained.
Is it possible to train skilled inquiry teachers also?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where skilled teachers must be are born with the where-with-all
before we can train them.)

Qualified, even experienced teachers often do not teach at all in an
inquiry fashion. Chalk and talk, whole class stuff dominates. (The way
they were taught - it worked for me didn't it??) My question is: can
such teachers be re-oriented to be more inquiry based?

David Hestenes in his interestng AJP article this year has a small
phrase "Managing classroom discourse" - he sees quality here as being a
key ingredient to 'good teaching' - where instructional goals are met,
learning is real and lasting etc. (my defn if good teaching, not
David's)

Can one for example 'learn' to do this well? I think yes - but the
problem is, many people are unaware of the need to work on this. When
they become aware, change may set in for a while, but real change needs
long term support, feedback collegial discussion, self evaluation etc.

Reminds me of the old joke:
How many counsellors does it take to change a light bulb?
Doesn't matter: the light bulb has got to *want* to change.

This is realy the key issue for me.
Do teacher want to change?

Derek

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
But you can put salt in it's oats.

Derek Chirnside d.chirnside@phys.canterbury.ac.nz
Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand.

Growing Minds: Physics Education/Information Technology Support
Ph: +64 3 364 2987 Ext 7561
Fax: +64 3 364 2469
DCandPC@netaccess.co.nz will find me after hours